The Rev. Billy Graham died Wednesday morning at the age of 99, according to a spokesperson for the family.
Graham died of natural causes in his home in Montreat, North Carolina, according to the spokesperson.
Graham’s legacy included reaching millions of people through a traveling evangelical message.
He met and shared the message with everyone from Steve McQueen to each president since Harry Truman to millions of Americans.
He harnessed the influence of television with his simple but powerful message of salvation, reaching millions in a way no one had before. Experts estimate that through rallies, more than 200 million people had heard his message in person, and many more through radio and television.
Graham was born in 1918 on a dairy farm in Charlotte.
Billy Graham and his wife Ruth and a rally in Oslo, Norway. Photo courtesy of the National archives of Norway
2/5/1981 President Reagan Nancy Reagan and Billy Graham at the National Prayer Breakfast held at the Washington Hilton Hotel (Photo courtesy of the White House)
Residents of Concord were caught off guard after learning the city’s drinking water violated EPA standards.
A test found the level of haloacetic acids in the water reached .0624 mg/L.
The limit is .060 mg/L.
WSOC-TV reported that the city of Concord does not treat all of its own water, and the 2 million gallons per day that come from an undisclosed source is the cause of the increased levels of haloacetic acid.
According to the Independent Tribune, haloacetic acids form in water as a by-product of the disinfection process. Concord uses chlorine to disinfect its drinking water, which reacts with organic matter such as leaves to create haloacetic acids.
The statement released by the city of Concord said the water is safe to drink, but those who are elderly or have infants may want to consider contacting their health care providers as a precaution.
In cases where high amounts haloacetic acids were consumed over short periods of time people experienced skin irritation, according to Livestrong.com.
Although it has not been tested or confirmed in humans, animals who consumed high amounts of haloacetic acids were at higher risk for cancer and birth defects according to the website.
South Carolina’s Department of Health and Environmental Control confirmed last week that mosquitoes were carrying West Nile virus in Beaufort County. The report was released by the DHEC with precautions on how to avoid mosquitoes, as well as consequences of contracting the virus.
“The mosquito that carries this virus is usually active at night, but can also be active at dusk and dawn and in shady areas during the day,” Evans said. “As the state’s public health agency, we partner with cities and counties across the state to help trap and identify mosquitoes carrying diseases that can be spread to humans.”
The DHEC recommends seeing a doctor if there is a chance you might have the virus.
Here is what the website says about the virus:
What are the symptoms of West Nile virus disease?
- No symptoms in most people. Most people (70-80%) who become infected with West Nile virus do not develop any symptoms.
- Febrile illness in some people. About 1 in 5 people who are infected will develop a fever with other symptoms such as headache, body aches, joint pains, vomiting, diarrhea, or rash. Most people with this type of West Nile virus disease recover completely, but fatigue and weakness can last for weeks or months.
- Severe symptoms in a few people. Less than 1% of people who are infected will develop a serious neurologic illness such as encephalitis or meningitis (inflammation of the brain or surrounding tissues). The symptoms of neurologic illness can include headache, high fever, neck stiffness, disorientation, coma, tremors, seizures, or paralysis.
*This information was provided by the Centers for Disease Control and Prevention, https://www.cdc.gov/westnile/faq/genquestions.html.